Bad News

My wife has had a lump near her left collarbone area for about 5-6 weeks. The doctors first assumed that it was related to an infection, so put my wife on antibiotics. Those produced no noticeable result, so my wife was scheduled to go to the hospital to get a biopsy and CT scan. That was today’s mission.

I took my wife in, got her situated, and left to try to attend to work if possible (it wasn’t – couldn’t find a free wireless hotspot). When I got back, after about an hour and a half (maybe a little more) they had still not brought her back to the room from the scanning area. Even the nurses were surprised that it was taking that long. They were very apologetic, which was unnecessary seeing as they had done nothing wrong! I will say the staff at the hospital were very friendly and helpful. But I digress.

They finally wheeled her back up, and we all find that they did not do the biopsy. Apparently the lump is situated near a vein and an artery, and there is a lot of other proper tissue blocking. The doctor felt that even if he did the biopsy that if nothing was found, there would be no great certainty that they had actually biopsied the lump. So that left two alternatives. Either wait a month and see what happens, or do minor surgery to take a whole node and test it.

Even when told that it would cause a permanent (though small) incision scar, and the pain, etc. Kim’s inclination was towards the surgery. Just to get the waiting and questioning out of the way! At this point, the doctor began trying to assure us that the likelihood that this was something serious was small, that waiting would not be any riskier. Kim was still very tentative. But the doctor’s question remained on the table. Which track would we like to take?

Before making a decision, I asked what I thought was a reasonable question. And am glad I did. Did the CT scan show anything that would give additional information to make this decision? The doctor responded that he had not yet had the opportunity to review the results of the CT, and that if we had a couple minutes, he would review and come back to us before we left the radiology wing. It took a little bit more than a couple minutes, but he eventually returned.

His opening to me was, “Forget everything I said before.” That may not be an exact quote, but it is close. He then proceeded to say that Kim had an additional node on/near her heart, near the aorta (thus hard to biopsy), and that she also had much smaller buildups on the back of her neck (hard to pinpoint in order to perform a biopsy, but visible on the CT scan). With these findings, it would seem that things are much more serious. The doctor indicates that he has some confidence that Kim has lymphoma. The good news is that lymphoma is fairly treatable, per the doctor (I don’t know that as a fact myself).

Bad news is that now, to verify, Kim will definitely have to go to get a lump removed surgically in order to test (after another doctor’s visit with another doctor – simply to meet and greet and fill out paperwork). Then, if we find that this is in fact the diagnosis, we have to deal with treating for the diagnosis.

So, be in prayer for my wife and for my family. It will not be a fun season. But I know God is in control, and I will rest on him to provide healing, support and grace in his time and measure.


About George

I'm interested in theology, languages, translation and various sorts of fermentation.
This entry was posted in Life In General. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Bad News

  1. orangealli says:

    Oh my goodness! I wish I could talk – I have strep and talking is very painful this week.
    Please give Kim my love and prayers. I’ll call her as soon as I can talk! And let me know if I can help in any way!

  2. michelle says:

    I will be praying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. Kim says:

    George- Please let us know if there is anything you. Once our house is once again safe for children we will be happy to watch them if you need for appointments and such.

  4. Bettie Fabian says:

    Please know that your precious family will be in my prayers. I am so sorry for this trouble that has come your way but know God is in control. I will keep in touch with Mary Anne for updates.

  5. George! I’m praying for you both.

  6. Nancy says:

    George & Kim…you are in our prayers!

  7. Jeremy says:

    Sorry to hear that, George. Wishing you guys the best.

  8. George says:

    Thanks, everyone. Kim is scheduled for surgery on Wednesday. I don’t know the time off the top of my head. Will keep you informed as everything progresses.


  9. Lecia says:

    Please know that Kim and you are in my prayers – for the strength and peace that only He can give.

  10. Ben says:

    God’s peace be with you during this difficult time.

  11. Janet says:

    Kim and George, I’m so sorry to hear the news. I of courxe, know how you feel. It is that whirling silence that you can’t breathe in that is hard. Yes, God is in control and He knew this before you did. It was the comfort that gave me peace. As great as I have been (with 6 mo. checkups) at times it is still a mind game. If I don’t keep close to the Lord it can overwhelm me still. I will continue to pray for peace, healing, and that this will bring you and your family closer. My Dad has had lymphoma for about 12 years now (he will be turning 80) and is doing great with it.
    Please e-mail or call if you just need to talk. Love you guys.

  12. George says:

    The diagnosis came in today. It is Hodgkin’s lymphoma. So now we get to meet with an oncologist to get treatment (chemotherapy) underway.

  13. George, Thanks for the update. still praying!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s