De Paris À Poitiers et Chasseneuil

Oh, the things that happened today!

It actually started as I began closing up the computer last night (at like 3:30AM or something). I had wanted to get a lot of my pictures labeled, so that there was some clarity as to what they were and that sort of thing – what I found interesting about them. Sometime during the evening, my power converter had blown. So as I began turning the computer off, it told me I had about 7% power left – about ten minutes.

Me on the TGV

I needed that time in the morning to plan my metro route from the hotel to Gare Montparnasse. More, I needed it to figure out my bus route from Gare Poitiers to my new hotel. As well, I needed to write down all the information for my e-ticket to Poitiers. And I really did need power for the laptop – and before Monday if possible!

I woke up late, around 10:40 AM. What did I expect? Well, I had hoped to wake around 8:30. My cellphone is dead, or I would have set the alarm… Okay, so I get showered and dressed, and run down to the desk. I make sure I have time to run to Darty, the electronics chain store I bought the convertor at, and pick up a new one before having to check out. I run over to Darty (it wasn’t too far actually – took me a lot longer to find it the first time!) I have a conversation (all in French, since the gentlemen knew no English) to return the old and échanger for a new one. I also bought some more camera batteries. Then I rushed back to the hotel to finish packing up.

By this point I’m sweating up a storm. I check out, run with my bags across the street to the cafe from the previous morning, hoping to grab a cold drink or something. I sit down outside, and am completely ignored. You might wonder, maybe they just don’t realize I sat down out there? No, right as I came out, the attendant came out and set up the sign with today’s selections. He then walked away from me, and began to smoke. Apparently a friend of his walked up, and they both begin pointing at me and laughing. Hmmm. A couple minutes later, he goes inside. Still nothing. I got up and left. I didn’t have any more time to wait.

I rush to the metro (I was able to get both a metro and bus plan somewhere in that last ten minutes of battery life), and get to Gare Montparnasse. I’m running farther behind in time than I thought I would be. I have about ten minutes to get get my physical ticket and get on the train. And, no, I don’t make it. The machines where you claim your ticket asked for my code, and I entered it. Then they asked for my name. And nothing I entered worked. So I ran to the ticketing agent with a couple minutes left (after a miserable dialogue with the help desk – another individual who knew no English, and did not get my slightly-disturbed, broken French), knowing that there is no way I will get back in time. I had a good dialogue with the ticketing agent, another individual who knew no English, and she was able to work everything out (she couldn’t find me in the system at first – my name probably has the II of my suffix in it somewhere). I got a ticket for a train about 30 minutes later.

Speeding Past The Countryside

I finally got my first beverage of the day, a blended orange-strawberry drink. It was good, but I downed it quickly. I ran to my train, and got on board. By this time it is 13:50. I have had about 16 ounces of liquid, and nothing to eat. I’m on the train until Poitiers, then I take the bus to Chasseneuil (tentative the whole way that I have gotten on the wrong bus). I get to my hotel, throw open the computer and am on it for about 3 minutes before the new convertor pops.

I heard it pop this time – and it was extremely hot to the touch. A little flustered, I look over the convertor and my laptop and find that I am overdrawing current. The convertor can supply 40W, my laptop battery (which is dead) says it pulls 60W. At least I know, now. Anyway, another power supply down, and I still need access to the computer – and a meal. I run down to the nearby Darty I saw on the bus-ride in (yep, Darty again) and find a power cable that will work for a Dell, rather than a convertor. I then find someplace to eat (at 18:15PM, not an easy thing thing to do – most places near my hotel open at 19:00!).

Whew. Dinner (or a very late lunch, whatever you want to call it) was good, though I was mentally drained; they had an awesome green apple glace, though. Now I’m back at the hotel. The new cable seems to be doing well with the computer. And I have French TV on in the background. I don’t understand but every word out of twenty or so.

That was my day.

Oooh. “Bleach” is on TV in French…

Bleach 十五, quinze, fifteen


About George

I'm interested in theology, languages, translation and various sorts of fermentation.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s