On the way back from a lunch get-together with the members of our small group, we stopped at a small farmer’s market to browse the vegetables and fruit. Picked up a whole bunch of peaches (a future post, maybe?) and some white corn (which was excellent).
Also, found raw honey.
And guess what? It looks very different from the honey bought a couple weeks back! This lends credence to the idea that my honey was cooked, even if not pasteurized, thus killing the yeast within. Of course, honey look-and-feel can vary from place to place and from batch to batch. But as you can see in the slideshow below, the difference was severe.
So after preparing dinner (a mock-kalbi alongside white corn-on-the-cob, mmmmm…), I set to mixing up Experiment #4, this time with what I hope to be real raw honey. I kept with the 1:4 ratio of honey to (distilled) water. Maybe if this is successful I’ll have another go at testing my tap water. In this instance, I mixed 2 cups of distilled water and 1/2 cup of raw honey in an extra-large, glass measuring bowl until it was fully mixed. I then transferred to a large mason jar for primary fermentation. Now, as always, we wait.
I’m thinking that if this works, I can probably transfer some or all to Experiments #1 and #2, to see if the added live yeasts are able to take over, using the already existing honey-water solution as food. That could be a good way of testing both types of water, though I am a little worried that at this point I have left these two solutions too long developing who-knows-what. They don’t smell bad, I guess…
I guess it goes without saying (I will anyway) that Experiment #1 and #2 remain stalled out – no noticeable activity. Experiment #3 (figs and sugar-water) continues to pop and sizzle delightfully.