Peaches and Blueberries

Peaches and blueberries. Sounds rather tasty just saying (or writing) it! Thursday (Aug 1), I made peach jam, based on the Ginger-Peach Jam recipe on Friday (Aug 2), I made Blueberry-Basil Preserves, with the help of a post over at Love & Olive Oil. Both went pretty well, I think.

The peach jam mostly went by the recipe. I skipped the ginger for this run. Maybe some other time. Kim would like me to make some more with less sugar (10 cups is quite a bit). I’d like to make some with a hint of chili pepper from our garden…

In any case, I took about 4 1/2 cups of chopped peaches (peeled and pitted), and set them on to boil with a 1.75 oz package of dry pectin. Once it came to a boil, I added in the copious amounts of sugar, little by little. I brought back to a boil and then cooked for a minute longer, just as the recipe said. The end result was 8 8oz jars of jam. I had been curious, since the recipe never said how many it made…

Canning wasn’t the smoothest operation, and the first four jars got about 15 minutes of sub-boiling temperatures before their 10 minutes at full boil. I’ll know better next time. There is a noticeable clear layer of jelly at the bottom of these. But it doesn’t look like any serious harm was done.

The Blueberry-Basil I did do some modification on. Rather than blending the majority of the berries, I chose to crush them with a potato-masher. This should hopefully end up in a less homogenous product – more like the preserves I grew up with. The recipe called for blending or using a food processor (not quite to the point of liquification). I did use the blender on the remaining 1/4 cup of blueberries (as the recipe called for).

So the basic recipe… Put almost 3.5 lbs of berries on to boil after crushing/beating them to a pulp (save a 1/4 cup of the 3.5 lbs for blending with the other ingredients). To this add a 1/4 cup of sugar that has been fully mixed with a 1.75 oz package of dry pectin. While this got going, I put the remaining blueberries, the lemon juice (1 tbsp), water (1/2 cup) and the basil (1/2 cup coarsely torn) in the blender, and blended it. I added it to the pan with the cooking berries. Once this mixture was at a boil, I added the bulk of the sugar (4 1/4 cups) in one fell swoop, and mixed it in. I cooked it for 1 minute once it returned to a full boil.

This recipe made 3 big jars (16 oz?) and 4 8oz jars. The stuff tastes and smells heavenly, despite my wife’s remarks that I should have made some without basil. Canning went smoothly, now that I had figured out to start the canning water onto boil first.

About George

I'm interested in theology, languages, translation and various sorts of fermentation.
This entry was posted in Jams and Jellies, Resources and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Peaches and Blueberries

  1. Pingback: Blueberry-Basil Preserves (for 2017) | σφόδρα – exceedingly

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s