Back To It

Bottling the cider took way longer than I originally expected. But I think the results will be well worth it. Only a couple of weeks to see!

I started by making a syrup by boiling 1/4 cup of water along with 3 ounces of sugar – enough to hopefully prime a five gallon batch of cider. I then racked the cider onto the sugar syrup. It went much better than last time, thankfully. I then started bottling.

Filling a whole bunch of bottles (the guess was near 50 for five gallons) takes quite some time. And I’m afraid I made a mess of every nearby surface. But I still came away with more than expected. End result was 17 11.2 ounce bottles (love these bottles, recycled from St. Bernadus ABT12), 34 12 ounce bottles (most of them recycled cider bottles), and 3 larger bottles (not sure the exact size  – maybe 24 or so ounces). I even had enough after all that to fill a glass, a pleasant thought.

Initial reactions? The apple is not lost! I’ve made cider with lesser ingredients, and this is by far better. Not carbonated of course, but it was still pleasant. The vibrant amber in the carboy is not so bright in the glass or bottle, where it takes on a lighter yellow hue.

Good night!


About George

I'm interested in theology, languages, translation and various sorts of fermentation.
This entry was posted in Fermentation Log and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s