I love this season. I’ve not always been a big summer fan, but the joy of picking fruit, or of getting a new berry wine, jelly or jam underway is all just a blast. Today, I didn’t quite get to making blackberry jam. But I did get the wine started.
I started by putting the fruit (12 pounds of blackberries) in a bag in my bucket, and hand crushing it. My hands were so purpley-red! To that I added a near-boiled sugar water solution, 7.5 quarts of water (that’s amost 2 gallons) of water with 6.75 pounds of sugar. I topped that off with another 3 3/4 quarts of cool water. Didn’t quite bring the temp down much, but some. No biggie, didn’t expect to add the pectic enzyme immediately anyway!
I did go ahead and add the rest of the chemicals, in all 6 tsp. of acid blend and 3 tsp. of yeast nutrient. And sans the pectic enzyme, that is what it takes to make 3 gallons of blackberry wine. I then spent the rest of the day working and such, finally getting back to it in the evening. At 8:30PM I added the pectic enzyme, so I’ll have to wait until at least that time tomorrow to add the yeast.
Now I just have to find time to do two batches of jam. Not super-efficient at it…