Irish Red Ale

All that remains is to add the yeast. Everything went pretty smooth. No boil overs, a quick cool down, simple treatment of the grains. Almost too easy!

I started by sanitizing everything, and throwing some water in the freezer. Then I got busy with the boil. To that end, I put 2.5 gallons of water in the pan, and started bringing it to a boil. To this, I added a grain bag filled with 1.5 pounds of 120 crystal malt, 0.25 pounds of chocolate malt, and 0.25 pounds of victory malt. Rather than really sparging, or a separate heating episode, I just brought the liquid to a boil with grains in the water, as suggested by the book the recipe proportions were in. And it seemed to work just fine.

Once it was to a boil, I added two tubs (each 3.3 pounds) of CWB Sparkling Amber liquid mal extract. This is a little more than the recipe called for, but I think it’ll be fine. This then required bringing it back up to temp, which didn’t take long. Once back up to temp, I added an ounce of Challenger hops, the bittering hops for this beer. I then proceeded with the hour boil.

While the recipe only called for a half ounce of my flavoring hop, Santiam, they sell it in 1 ounce packages. So I decided to use half of it at the mid-point of the boil, and the other half, as recipe suggested, in the last minute of the boil. Once again, smooth sailing.

At this point I filled my tub with ice water and brought the pan into the tub. A little bit later, I could see the temp had not gone down quite enough, so I added a quick gallon of chilled water from the freezer. That brought it down to the near-room-temp I was looking for. I had set up a grain bag in a fermentation tub, and poured the wort into it, using the bag as a filter for the hops. It wasn’t a catch-all, but it did help a lot. Using the tub also gave me a good way to measure the volume. After water, boil, extract addition and removal of grains and hops, the volume was at 2.5 gallons.

So I added 2.5 gallons more of water to the tub, stirred and then checked specific gravity – right at 1.050. Then, using a funnel, I transferred the strained liquid to a 6.5 gallon carboy standing ready. Of course, this is a five gallon batch, but that gives head room. Grains and spent hops went to the compost pile, after cleaning up the kitchen, then it was dinner (leftover beef burgundy and smashed red potatoes) while watching an episode of MASH.

And as I said at the beginning, now I’ve just been waiting to add the slap pack of yeast. I had intended on Irish Ale Yeast, but my supply shop did not have any on hand, so I have 1335 British Ale II from Wyeast. Right after this post is done, I’ll be heading to pitch the yeast.

To all a good night, and hope you have a great week.

Oh, and the pickles see not much activity yet. It’ll take a couple days.

Advertisements

About George

I'm interested in theology, languages, translation and various sorts of fermentation.
This entry was posted in Fermentation Log and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Irish Red Ale

  1. Pingback: Irish Red Ale, Continued | Akahige Wines, Meads and Sundry

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s